The Sustainable Design Institute (SDI) at the BAC is dedicated to helping students learn about the practices, processes and materials with which we can create a truly sustainable built environment. We offer online courses and certificates in subjects ranging from designing, constructing and operating buildings to planning communities.
Wherever you are, if you are someone who is already a part of the building industry and wants to sharpen or develop your skills in sustainable design, or if you are someone who would like to contribute to the creation of a sustainable built environment as a sustainability officer, an author, a researcher, a consultant, an advocate or in a number of other roles, the SDI can help you reach your goals. We offer fully online, graduate-level, 8 week courses, that can be taken individually or as part of one of four SDI certificates.
Many courses are approved for continuing education credits by the AIA, the GBCI, the RIBA and the EADC. SDI courses serve electives in the online Master of Design Studies in Sustainable Design. The BAC also offers a Bachelor of Design Studies in Sustainable Design degree on campus in Boston. New terms start five times a year: twice in the fall semester, twice in the spring semester, and once during the summer.SDI courses are:
- Asynchronous: Our students and instructors are in all time zones. Students "enter the virtual classroom" according to their own daily schedules.
- Instructor-led: By being instructor-led, SDI students are able to engage in give and take with the building industry experts who develop and teach the courses.
- Interactive: The interactive nature of the courses exposes students to each other's ideas and experience as well as to those of the instructor.
- Small: Class sizes are limited to 15 persons plus the instructor, making manageable and meaningful discussions possible.
The SDI faculty is made up of experienced sustainable design practitioners and includes architects, engineers, research professionals, landscape architects, interior designers, planners, green building consultants and authors.
PCE/LI Important Dates
- Summer Registration Opens: April 28, 2014
- Additional Dates